Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My Whole30: Week One


I just completed my first week of whole30 on Sunday. 
I know you're like, "wait! wait! wait! what the heck is whole30?" 
I'll try to explain it the best I can, but this site + this book will explain it way better 
and go into way more detail then I am able to. 
In short whole30 is a way of eating healthier for 30 days. 
It's not a diet even though I've called it that, but more so a challenge.
A challenge to cut out added sugars, dairy, and grains. 
There's a lot that goes into that. So, if this is something you're interested in,
I highly suggest reading the book or hoping on the website to read more 
+ looking at the public forms as well. 

So, why am I taking part in whole30?
I'll be honest here (like I always aim to be) and say at first it was all about losing weight.
I've had three babies and gained more weight than I care to admit. 
I've been eating healthier before now and have lost some weight.
But I do want to lose more and get down to my goal weight. 
However, since starting the whole30 it's become more than that. 
I have an emotional eating problem. 
If I'm angry or sad or stressed or feeling any negative feelings whatsoever I eat! 
I'm not talking about fruit or veggies either! 
Usually it's a bowl full of ice cream or ten Oreos in one sitting. 
This is not good! Eating things to satisfy negative emotions is not good!
It simply only satisfies for a time being + does not help me to lose the weight.
Part of whole30 is learning how to have a different relationship with food. 
It's also about kicking your cravings 
and seeing the affect certain foods may have on your body. 
Really, I could go on and on about it all. 
So if I haven't addressed something or you have a question,
 ask and I'll do my best to answer. 

Now, you're probably wondering, 
"What in the world do you eat? I love sugar! I love dairy! I love grains!" 
Me too, me too, but I wanted to give this a try and see how my body responds. 
For the whole30 you pretty much eat five things:
Meat/Seafood/Eggs + Veggies + Fruit. 
It's really not that hard, but I'll share what I ate last week
because I know it seems daunting to have to figure it out and plan. 
I hate meal planning, but am feeling so much better about this! 


For breakfasts my meals are super easy. 
They do not need to be complicated nor do I want them to be first thing in the A.M.
I usually have two different meals in mind for breakfast. 
Eggs (about 3) with a veggie or two and a little bit of fruit, like the first photo. 
I used coconut to cook the eggs and sweet potato hash because that is a healthy fat
and that is another thing you need while on this challenge 
(seriously, read the book...I cannot tell you everything you need to know)! 
The second meal is something I think is absolutely delicious. 
It's called morning mix and is actually a recipe from the book. 
Another reason to check out the book: recipes in the back! So easy! 

Recipe for Sweet Potato Hash:
Chop of however many sweet potatoes you think you'll eat. 
(I chop up about four for my husband and I)
Put on stove, cooking with coconut oil. 
Add in 1/2 tbsp paprika (LOVE this stuff!), 1 tsp oregano,
1/2 tbsp cinnamon,  salt + pepper to taste. 
Cook a bit, then cover, and cook until soft.
Ten or so minutes. 

Another great way to cook sweet potato hash is with coconut oil + olive oil + rosemary. 
I actually like that way better! 

Recipe for Morning Mix
Brown ground beef or turkey (we eat turkey here!) 
Dice an apple. Throw it in with meat.
Add 1/8 tsp each of cinnamon + nutmeg. 
Stir and then put a lid of it and let it simmer a bit until apples are a bit soft. 

You could also make it for dinner. 

Next up our my lunches + dinner ideas. 



Top Left: Deconstructed pizza
Ground beef with 1/2 tsp each of rosemary and oregano. 
Top with tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms. 
Stir in some baby spinach. 
For dressing I believe I used a little of olive oil. 

Top Right: Chicken with salsa (in the crockpot!!!)
Chicken cooked with a can of compliant whole30 salsa. 
Cooked for about 3-4 hours, I believe.
Put it over a bed of baby spinach with a side of carrots.

Second Row, Left: Chicken wraps.
Leftover chicken and salsa in lettuce wraps with avocado + baby tomatoes. 
Side of carrots + mushrooms. 

Second Row, Right: Lemon Chicken cooked on the grill (thanks hubby!)
A side of sweet potatoes, cooked with rosemary. 
Red pepper + broccoli. 

Third Row, Left: Turkey and Broccoli. 
Ground turkey with coconut oil and 1/8 tsp of cinnamon. 
Add in red bell pepper, carrots, and broccoli. 
Serve on a bed of baby spinach.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds. 
Add orange slices on top. 

Third Row, Right: Cashew Chicken. 
You can find the recipe here on the Whole30recipes Instagram. 
It was delicious, but took some work! 

Bottom, Left: Turkey burger grilled up by husband.
Topped with some veggies, compliant mustard and wrapped in lettuce. 
Also more veggies on the side.

Bottom, Right: Mahi Mahi grilled by my husband (he's been good to me! ;)
Sweet potatoes cooked with rosemary.
Homemade guac + homemade salsa. 
He made this whole meal and I was very happy to gobble it up! 
Also, juice in the wine glasses because alcohol is a no-no during the whole30 as well. 

Lastly, here are some of the snacks I ate. 
You're suppose to try and not snack in between meals,
but the first week is all about figuring out how much food your body really needs. 
Also, sometimes you just have to snack and as breastfeeding mama I'm gonna eat when I'm hungry. 



Mostly, no explanation needed, but if you're looking for good snacks for the whole30,
I completely recommend Izzie sparkling waters (apple is my favorite)
and Lara bars (banana bread is like eating actually banana bread)!
Also, since whole30 is a no sugar, no dairy challenge,
there's nothing in the Starbucks cup but coffee.
We mostly cold brew ours at home using the pioneer woman's cold brew recipe,
without adding the sweet stuff, of course!

So, there you have it, my first week of the whole30 challenge. 
I ate variations of these meals throughout the week. 
So, now you may be wondering how much first week went. 
Or maybe you're ready for me to shut up, but if it's the former, then read on! 

I expected the first week to suck. I expected to give up. 
I expected to give in to Starbucks and stuff my face with chocolate and ice cream. 
But I didn't and it was partly because I felt very motivated, 
a lot because I had support from my husband, 
and more so because it just wasn't that difficult for me! 
As the days passed I didn't want Starbucks, or chocolate, or ice cream. 
I still don't and that makes me pretty dang happy! 

It also makes me happy that I didn't feel like I needed coffee everyday, 
that I wasn't as tired and that my mood has been way better!
Funny how food can affect such things! 

For me the hard part was drinking my coffee black. 
Not my favorite, but worth it and I don't feel sick after having my coffee, 
like I ALWAYS did after Starbucks. 
Meal planning was a bit hard at first, but quickly that became easy. 
Going to the store every single day last week + meal prepping took a lot of time. 
Still worth it and I know we've gotten the hang of that this week! 

That's all I really have to say about the whole30 right now. 
I could go and on, but this is already a book in itself. 
Thinking about doing the whole30? Have questions? 
Go ahead and ask! I'll try to answer to the best that I can. 

2 comments:

  1. Im excited to give a few of these recipes a try!

    Question - how was the turkey and apple thing? It sounds kind of weird, but I really don't know what it would be like! :P

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Erin Lauray