Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Your worth is in Jesus, not the internet


There's something that bugs me about blogging.
I've written about it before, but once again it's pressing on my heart.
Maybe somebody needs to hear it or maybe its the fact that I need to remind myself.

At times blogging feels a whole lot like a popularity contest.
Actually, all of social media seems that way.
I'm cool because...I have this many friends on facebook, this many people follow me on twitter and instagram, this many people follow my blog, and I'm friends with so and on on the internet.

I don't mean to downplay these things because I think social media great. Facebook is a great way to stay connected with friends and family. Twitter and instagram are fun. I really enjoy blogging and I know that to some people it is more than a hobby, it is a career. I also know that some have made some of the closest friends via the internet. Like I said, all these things are great, a fun part of life, BUT THEY AREN'T ALL OF LIFE.

I do enjoy all these things, BUT THEY AREN'T WHERE MY WORTH IS. I hope people know that and feel it. Yes, I love that people actually read my blog, but if no one did, so what? I write for me. If someone reads it and likes what I have to say, great. If they don't, well that's fine too.

My worth is not found in that.
My worth is not found in adding another friend on facebook.
My worth is not found in how many people respond to me on twitter or retweet things I write.
My worth is not found in how many people follow me on instagram.
My worth is not found in how many people read my blog or in blog comments.
My worth is not found in who I'm friends with.
My worth is not found in any of these things.

My worth is found in God.
That's where it all is.
That's the only place it needs to be.
I hope you know this to. If you're struggling with feeling like those things have to be perfect, feeling as if those things are what make you worth something, know those things aren't true.
Nothing is perfect. No matter how hard you try, it won't be. It's not suppose to be because the only thing that will fill you with satisfaction is Jesus. Look to Him and let all else fall aways.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. That is something I was thinking about when I kind of quit blogging for awhile. I like blogging because I like blogging! Who cares if I get ten comments! Or even one read. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree with you! SO good!! Great reminder that I need to look to God for my worth. Loved that picture too :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Erin Lauray