Thursday, June 5, 2014

Preschool? Already?



Braden turns 4 in late November. 
I guess that means he's ready for preschool after summer is over?
I'm really unsure about it, truthfully. 
Is he ready? Am I ready? 
Should he be in preschool for two years or should we wait one more year? 
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any wisdom?

I'm think he's ready. 
He's smart and picks up on things easily. 
He likes to play with friends. 
I'm just nervous because he doesn't listen well.
Seriously, him telling me, "No!" all the time is driving me bonkers.
And also, he isn't completely potty trained. 
He's pretty darn close though! I'm sure by the time summer is over he will be! 



Then, I'm wondering how to even chose a preschool. 
Do I just pick one? 
It's making me nervous just thinking about it! 
I cannot believe he's already big enough to be away from me for a little bit!
They grow too darn fast, I tell ya! 

We're also thinking about homeschooling
and I feel like I need to start researching about that as well.
Any tips? Blogs I should read? Where do I even start?
We think preschool will be good for him, but then after that homeschooling.
It's not set in stone, but a possibility. 


Any thoughts?
What did you do with your kids? 
So much to consider! 

2 comments:

  1. We sent both kids to preschool at 3 years old and they loved it! Even Cohen, who was attached to my hip and a complete mamas boy. The social interaction they get at preschool is unlike any other that we can give them at home. And, learning to listen, trust, follow directions, etc from other adults is so very important for kids. I would absolutely send him if I were you! I bet he'll have fun & love it. Plus, it'll give you some quality time with the two girls that you haven't been able to spend with them like you did him when he was an only child. I don't think that preschool is anything but awesome for kids.
    Research online, ask people in your town, go to the preschools and take a tour, talk to the teachers and staff. Word of mouth is your best bet, because you'll get honest answers- not ones that are paid for!
    As for homeschooling- I can only say that there is no way in hell I could have ever done it. Between my anxiety, lack of patience and need for quiet/alone time I just couldn't deal with that. I think school is awesome for kids and especially if you have good schools in your area. But, to each their own. Very much so. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say "ditto" to just about everything Alyson said above. Kids learn pretty quickly that they have to follow the rules in school, so I wouldn't let his current resistance to listening/minding deter you. And being in school just might give him that last bit of motivation he needs to be fully potty trained. As for homeschooling, I'm right there with you. I'm a certified teacher who worked in public schools for 12 years. I know there are a lot of awesome dedicated teachers out there. But I also know that one on one time with the teacher/adult is what has the biggest impact on a child's learning. So if you have schools around you with really large class sizes because of budget cuts, then homeschooling might be something to really consider. However, you need to be brutally honest with yourself to see if you have the discipline to follow thru with planning and teaching your child all day every day. It's not for the faint of heart. I have a friend I went to high school with who insists on homeschooling, but she really isn't fit for it in my opinion, and her children's academics are sorely lacking because of it. Only you will know what is right for your situation in the end. Some homeschooling friends of mine say they just take one year at a time instead of deciding one way or the other for good. I still have a couple years to figure the answer out for myself and my daughter, but I know it's not a decision to be taken lightly so I'm already trying to do research and soul-searching. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Erin Lauray