Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Questions on Gratitude


Lately, I've come across posts from other bloggers that I like and therefore want to copy.This is one of those posts. It's definitely one I need to do...especially today. I need to take the time to really think about what I am grateful for. I am always grateful, but I don't always take the time to really think about such things. 


1. Who do you appreciate? There are many people I appreciate, but my husband is at the very top of the list. He works so very hard at a job that isn't his dream, at a job that most days is just a pain, but he does it because he wants to support us. He's also very supportive, loving, and giving. He's a great husband! =)

2. How am I fortunate? I am fortunate because of the life I live. There are so many people, so many children who don't get food to eat, water to drink, or a roof over their head. I'm fortunate enough to get those things! I'm also fortunate to have a college degree. So many people can't afford it. I'm fortunate also because I know Christ. So many people don't. For that I am one of the most fortunate!

3. What material possessions am I thankful for? Clothes, my phone, a computer, a car, a bed to sleep on.

4. What abilities do I have that I am grateful for? I'm grateful that I have a compassionate heart. Sometimes its so easy for the world to judge other for who they are or blame them for their circumstances, but I try to see the bigger picture, I try to see their heart. I'm not always good at it, but my heart is full of compassion for many.



5. What about my surroundings (my home, neighborhood) am I thankful for? I'm thankful to have a roof over my head and a warm place to sleep. I'm thankful that we are in a safe place, but mostly I am thankful that I am with my husband and son. They surround me daily and without them I don't know what I'd do. I'm also thankful that God is all around me.

6. What experiences have I had that I am grateful for? I want to say that I am grateful for my past, but sometimes thats hard. However, I know that theres a purpose in it, even if I never know what that is. Its a part of God's plan and its made me who I am today. 


7. What happened today/yesterday/this week/ this month/this year that I am grateful for?
Today-- time to rest. Somedays I feel like I get none and it was nice to nap with my son lying on me.
Yesterday -- some good time with just my husband, son, and I. One of my favorite things is when we have time just us, time to just enjoy each other. 
This week-- thats its Thanksgiving tomorrow (and someone's birthday)! =)
This month -- that we've been able to take some steps towards healing for us and made some decisions that will be good for us!
This year -- we got married and had a baby...couldn't get any better than that!    


8. What opportunities have I had that I am thankful for? I am thankful that I have the chance to stay home with my son. Its definitely a blessing. I get to see him grow and thats something I wouldn't change for the world!

9. What have others done that I am thankful for? My husband works to support us. That is something I can never thank him enough for. His parents have given us a place to stay while we pay off some debt. A friend from church welcomes her home for play dates and listens to me. Theres so much that others have done for me! 

10. What have others done that I am benefiting from in my life (even if I don't know who those people are?) I know others pray for us. Maybe I don't know who or when, but it helps!



11. What relationships am I thankful for? I am thankful for the relationship I have with my husband. It may not always be easy, but it is always worth it. I am thankful for my relationship with my son. Its a special relationship and he will always have a special place in my heart. I love them very much. I am also thankful for the friendships I have -- some I've had for years and some more recent, but my friends, they are so important and have been there through some of the toughest times. I'm so thankful to have people in my life who will be there no matter what!

12. What am I taking for granted that, if I stop to think about, I am grateful for? I am sure there is much. I think I take more for granted that I can even think of. At times, I think, I take most for granted. Maybe, its money, if I really think about it. I've mentioned debt before and I think, maybe, taking money for granted is what got us here. 

13. What is there about the challenges/difficulties I have experienced (or am experiencing) that I can be thankful for? (e.g. What have I learned? How have I grown?) I've learned what really matters - God and my family. Those things are the only things that really matter... if I only had those two things in my life, I'd not only be okay, but I'd be good. I've also learned that God's in control and I need to trust Him and lean on Him more.



14. What is different today then it was a year ago that I am thankful for? My heart is different. When my husband and I started dating I was emotionally a mess and after getting married and having him in my life thats changed a lot. He's helped to heal my heart. I'm so thankful for that! I am also thankful that my husband took it upon himself to bring my best friend from college and I back into one anothers' lives. I am thankful that she was willing to let me back in her life and that we were willing to forgive one another and open up to one another again. God is good. In all things He is good.
15. What insights have I gained that I am thankful for? I am thankful that I've learned that I can't change the way people act or the choices they've made. I can only be in-charge of me. Its nice to be able to let go of that and not carry the burden of other peoples' choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Erin Lauray